Friday, July 11, 2008

Not enough BRA's these days

BRA's (Beer Related Activities) are at an all time low these days. Tennis tournaments, vacations, more tennis, and holidays. Sheesh!

But, I did get the RIS brewed, just miscalculated my grain bill by about 8 pounds, ended up using my boil kettle as a second mash tun, collecting wort from it, then using that wort to sparge the main tun...yes, that's right, I used wort to collect wort, "reiterated sparging" if you will. Gravity was low thanks to that, so I added some DME and ended up with an OG around 1.092. At last check it was about done fermenting, and 1.024, about 9% ABV.

I also brewed a "Honey Porter" using the 2nd runnings and adding a couple pounds of honey. OG was low, 1.038, finished at 1.004 so light bodied and clean. Nice bonus from a LONG rough brew day. Below you will see the "reiterated sparge" and the leftover mountain of grain!

No comments: